Ah! Another long pause since my last food posting. I am going to start making more of an effort in updating this blog. Yes, I promise! Today I’ve got a really quick and easy recipe to share and it’s from an unlikely source – supermarket magazines. I don’t mean the ones Sainsburys’ or Waitrose sell, but those little free booklets. I always pick up a copy in whichever supermarket I happen to go shopping in and last week, I was in Asda and found a mouthwatering recipe for chicken and mango salad.
The recipe asks for fresh mint leaves and honey to be mixed into the yoghurt dressing but I didn’t have any mint leaves handy, and I’m not personally keen on honey in savoury dishes but I used the rest of the ingredients listed. It’s something that won’t take more than 30 minutes to make.
4 chicken breast fillets
300ml chicken stock
4 spring onions, trimmed and sliced
1 red pepper, deseeded and cut into bite-sized pieces
2 baby gem lettuces, trimmed and leaves separated
1 large mango, peeled, stoned and sliced
4 tbsp Greek style yoghurt
1 tbsp chopped fresh mint
2 tbsp lemon juice, freshly squeezed
1 tsp clear honey
- Put the chicken and stock in a pan, heat until simmering, then cover and cook for 20 minutes. Drain, leave to cool and then cut into bite-sized pieces.
- Halve the cucumber lengthways, scoop out the seeds and slice into crescents.
- Mix the cucumber with the spring onions, red pepper, baby gem lettuce leaves, mango slices and chicken.
- Mix the yoghurt with the lemon juice, mint and honey and drizzle over the salad.
- Season and serve to hungry but happy faces.