Alrighty! I’ve decided to post a recipe after months. I have been creative in the kitchen, the problem is I’ve forgotten to take pictures and jot down notes. Never mind, eh? If you don’t want to miss out on surprise updates, then please follow this blog through WordPress or Bloglovin’. Alternatively you can follow me on Twitter where I am more than likely to make an announcement on there.
Right, let’s get started, shall we? In the last couple of months I’ve realised my metabolism has been taking quite a beating with the er, odd indulgence in KFC chicken wraps *cough*. I have also started running to keep fit but exercising alone isn’t going to get rid of the um, love handles and if I continue to eat rubbish, it will be twice the effort to work it off! So my diet has had somewhat of a re-evaluation and I am pleased to say I am enjoying being creative and of course eating my efforts.
I’ve replaced certain foods with healthier alternatives and am cooking with new ingredients I had never tried before. Two of them are couscous (instead of rice and pasta) and butternut squash. I don’t know why I thought couscous would be difficult to cook (sheesh, no effort required here) and butternut squash has become my favourite vegetable. I don’t miss potato now!
I came across a recipe for chicken, squash and couscous online and adapted it with the ingredients I had in my kitchen, adding a few new ones and omitting the things I didn’t have in stock. Thankfully it worked and I want to share it with you.
It’s healthy, it can be frozen and it’s filling. Great for lunches and dinners too! Let me know what you think if you try this out.
1 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp ground coriander
1 tsp red chilli powder
2 cloves of garlic crushed
1 large onion sliced
2 skinless chicken breasts, cut into small pieces
1 small butternut squash, cut into chunks
1 x 400g can of chopped tomatoes
1 lemon squeezed
a handful of cherry tomatoes, halved
fresh coriander, chopped or for garnish (optional)
- Heat a large pan on the hob and add the spices, garlic and onions. Stir and cook gently for 10 minutes until soft.
- Add chicken and brown for 5-10 minutes.
- Add squash, stirring to combine and add a splash of water if it starts to stick. Cook for a further 5 minutes.
- Pour the tin of chopped tomatoes and half a can of water into the mixture, cover and simmer for 20-30 minutes.
- Then add the lemon juice, cherry tomatoes, couscous and some seasoning.
- Cover and turn off the heat. Leave on the hob for 10 minutes, then serve with the coriander mixed in.